For many students, the college application essay is a dreaded experience. While it’s important to write good essays, don’t let the idea that it’s a college application essay cripple the skills you’ve developed. You can do this!
Here are some tips that may help you:
- Write a list of ideas without trying to create full sentences.
- Organize the best of the ideas into a logical order.
- Expand the ideas into complete sentences.
- Keep it brief — most essays should be around 400-500 words.
- Don’t try to be someone you’re not. Write in your own personal style.
- SPELL CHECK!!!
- Be controversial without being offensive or using inappropriate slang, text-speak or age-based humor.
- Write the first draft without worrying about vocabulary.
Give us a call at 845-605-1100 and we’ll review your essays. At College Planning 101, it’s our business to know what college admissions officers are looking for.